Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Weighing and measuring food

So the P90X nutrition plan (not a DIET!) specifically says that you need to measure and weigh food in the beginning. Yeah right, like I need to do that.

Well, surprise. I started doing that and you know what? It's freaking amazing what a misconcept you might have on serving sizes.

It all started with the jerkey. I got 9 oz bags from Costco. Has 9 servings. Ok. Easy enough. NOT.

I got the food scale on Thursday and that was the first thing I did was weigh out the jerkey. Whoa nellie!

Same with a chicken breast. 3 oz (not 4 on this plan) is not anything like you thought.

But 6 egg whites equals one protein? Thats too much for me to eat.

2 cups of leafy greens. Doesn't sound like much does it? But it IS! Try measuring it and see just how much it really is!

Same with cheese. 1 oz is a serving. Doesn't sound like much but it is.

If you don't have a scale, I highly recommend you get one. I bought a Salter for $12.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond, and of course, used my 20% off coupon to get $2.50 off. Nothing fancy. Not digital. But has a rather large bowl (instead of just the stand) and a BIG face to see the lines that represent ounces :)

No comments:

Post a Comment