Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wednesdays workout plan - LEGS

and a little cardio just to mix it up!

First off, I hate working out in the evening, after I get home from work. I'd much rather work out in the morning and have it out of the way, and less chance to get distracted when I get home from work and so on ... but working out in the morning is hard for me too ... I don't have the energy and I know it's because I should eat but if I eat then I'm really sluggish and even queasy once I start the heart speeding. So, I've resigned myself to try the evening workout for a while and see if I can get a routine that works and stays with me.

Onwards to Legs!  My thighs and calves are a little tender from Monday's walk/run but I think I can do this today!

Up first: jumping jacks. 25 Put your heart and soul into it!
Then lets do jump ropes ... count to 101 casually or fast. Not to do 101 jumps but just for the count :)

Ok, ready? Breathe and move on! (WAIT - if you think you need to warm up more or want to, continue doing your own stretching and warm up ideas!)

20 lunges, balance on one foot IF you can (put top of foot behind you on chair) - I can't do it, I've got such poor balance (ear issues) but continue to try! Keep knees over your ankles and do not let your knee go beyond you toes. Do deep lunges (as far as you can) with hands held together in front of your chest, prayer style.

20 squat calf raises, stand tall, on tippie toes, squat as far as you can down, and raise up on toes again. Again keep knees behind toes.

25 jumping jacks

20 Super skater moves - place all weight on one leg and slide other leg behind body in skater motion with toe touch for balance ... do 20 on each side

20 Lunge, stepping back. Stand with legs together, hold hand at hips and step backwards into a lunge, making sure knee stays over ankle of front leg. IF you want, you can use weights on this but I plan on no weights to get the moves first. Alternate each leg for a total of 20

20 Side lunges, alternate. Stand with feet together, alternate lunges from right to left. 20 total.

20 Deadlift squats. Stand with weight on one leg, other leg bent behind you. Squat down and reach for the floor. (THIS WILL BURN YOUR LEGS!)

25 Jumping jacks. I think at this point you may want to do a little bit of jogging in place to loosen your legs up.

30 Walking "sneaky" lunges. This is just lunges on your tippy toes and a leaning of the upper body forward. Lunge across floor on toes, while in lunge position, bring your torso to upper thighs so body is lined up with the back leg, extend arms behind you for balance (or forward if preferred) and then gracefully pull into the next lunge as you move forward ... remember to stay on your toes :)

60 total calf raises - start with toes pointed out to sides and do 20 calf raises, slowly and never let  your heels hit the floor (owwww). Then do 20 with toes point straight ahead with heels never touching (owwww) and then point toes inward (pigeon toe) and do 20 with heels never touching floor (this is excruciating and I dread doing it!)

IF you still have it in you you can do burpees (I'd recommend 10 to 15) or these cool 80/20 Sieber squats: simply squat at a high speed with 80% of body weight on heel of one foot and 20% on toes of other foot, do 20 on each leg.

Make sure you cool down on this ... jump rope, marching, jogging, etc. as your legs will be screaming.

So how about it, did you do it? And??

No comments:

Post a Comment